(DHI Media/Ed Gebert)
(DHI Media/Ed Gebert)

Shortly after noon Monday, the Van Wert Fire Department received a call of a house on fire at 215 Vine St. Flames and smoke were reported coming from the house. When crews arrived, they found that a small electrical fire had been burning and was still creating smoke in the residence.

It was also found that a next-door neighbor, Ed Mosier, brought over two fire extinguishers and emptied them on the fire before crews could arrive. Fire Chief Jim Steele praise Mosier for his quick thinking and willingness to take action. Steele stated, "He had great situational awareness and put it to work."

None of the residents of the home where the fire took place were at home at the time, and no one was reported injured. A pet rabbit in a cage inside the house was rescued by firefighters.