CELINA - Four fighters came out victorious in Saturday night’s Hometown Showdown in Mercer county.

Six fights were set to take place, but two of the scheduled fights did not happen, due to different circumstances.

Van Wert’s own Paul “Nite Nite” Barton did not get his chance to take the ring, after his opponent Michael Widmer pulled out of the fight earlier in the day.

Widmer’s official reason for pulling out of the fight is unknown, but the general consensus in the arena Saturday night seemed to be that he wanted no part of this highly anticipated match.

Although he didn’t fight, Barton enjoyed a nice moment in the ring with his family, where he vowed to fight professionally one time before he hangs up his gloves.

“Whether we have to come back to Mercer county, do this in Van Wert county, or have the fight in my back yard, I’m going to make this happen,” Barton said. “This is something I want to do for my family and for team Nite Nite to show you how much I appreciate the support.”

Tipton Walker of Benton Harbor, Michigan, missed weight at Friday night’s weigh in, negating his chance to take on Cleveland’s Fred Wilson in a battle of the undefeated.

As for the fights that did take place, the first bout of the night was between Darnell “Achilles” Pettis, and Junior Rocci.

The two lightweights battled it out for four rounds, with Pettis, the more experienced fighter, coming out on top by a unanimous decision.

Pettis, who once fought in the Barclay’s center in Brooklyn, New York, had nothing but praise for the event as a whole on Saturday night.

“Seeing all the love here is phenomenal,” he said. “When you’re in a small town, the atmosphere seems more family oriented than it does in a big city.”

Following the opening match, Celina’s own Caleb Fickert stepped into the ring to do battle with Justin Parks of Findlay.

Fickert gave the crowd its most exciting moment of the night when he knocked out Parks in the early stages of the fourth round.

When his opponent failed to get up off of the canvas Fickert ascended to the top of the ropes to celebrate with his hometown crowd.

“I’m on Mount Everest right now,” he said. “Coming in here and getting a knockout in front of this crowd was extra special.”

Following the fight, Fickert plans to return to mixed martial arts, where he has spend the first nine years of his professional fighting career.

In the lone competition between flyweights on Saturday, Carlos Suarez improved to 11-3, with a split decision win over Rondarius Hunter.

Hunter was warned by the official multiple times during the match to clean up the fight, while Suarez kept his composure and found his way to the win.

“My jab was working tonight, and I was able to come over the top and hit him clean,” Suarez said. “This fight wasn’t a split decision in my mind. I can’t find a single round that I thought he won.”

As for the main event, Raymond Castaneda put on a show. The super lightweight was able to land a number of clean shots on his opponent, Maurice Anthony.

Castaneda, a native of Defiance, came out of his corner as the most aggressive fighter of the night, showcasing his speed and landing one big hit after another.

What ended up being a unanimous decision in favor of Castaneda, seemed like it would have been a knockout, had the fight gone on any longer.

“It’s still a work in progress out there,” said the boxer following his win. “The plan was to see how my opponent was going to react early and then counter, but instinct took over and I got really aggressive.”

The oohs and ahs from the crowd throughout the night echoed a positive feedback shared by the boxers about the series of fights on Saturday night.

“If they ever want us back over here, we’re going to make it happen,” said Raymond Castaneda. “I just love the atmosphere we were in tonight.”

Here’s to hoping its not another 107 years until we see professional boxing back in Mercer county.