Raider senior receiver Mox Price running down a pass on Friday night night. The Raiders beat Tinora in the opening of league play at Raider Field. (DHI Media/ Tina Eley)
Raider senior receiver Mox Price running down a pass on Friday night night. The Raiders beat Tinora in the opening of league play at Raider Field. (DHI Media/ Tina Eley)
HAVILAND – Wayne Trace opened Green Meadows Conference play with a rout of visiting Tinora Friday night as the Raiders rolled to a 39-14 win over the Rams at Raider Field.

The Raiders even their record at 2-2 overall with the victory, breaking a five-game losing streak to the Rams that dated back to the 2013 regional semifinal at Lima Senior.

It was a solid team effort for the red, white and blue as Wayne Trace gets ready for a visit for county rival Antwerp on Homecoming Night at Raider Field. The Archers dropped a 41-20 decision to visiting Fairview last night.

“This was just a good overall win,” commented Raider head coach Mike Speice. “I thought it was a solid, complete game for us. We played well in all aspects tonight, and I was very pleased with the effort.”

Wayne Trace took control on the game’s opening possession.

The Raiders marched 71-yards in eight plays, mixing it up with six of the eight being runs, before capping the drive on a 24-yard scamper by Trevor Speice with 8:35 left in the opening quarter. Haydn Gillett split the uprights on the extra point conversion to take a 7-0 advantage.

“It was something we wanted to focus on, and I thought we did a nice job of that tonight,” continued the Raider head coach of the running game. “Our offensive line played really well, and that is where it all starts and that opens up things for us.”

It was the Raider defense that found the scoring column next.

With Tinora at its own 14-yard line, senior defensive end Josiah Linder sacked Ram quarterback Spencer Giesige in the end zone for a safety that made it 9-0 at the 1:36 mark of the quarter.

It was the first of three sacks on the night for Wayne Trace, with Caleb Yenser and Reece Thompson combining for one and Brian Merritt picking up the remaining one.

“Defensively, we were able to put pressure on them, and I thought as a unit they played pretty well,” added the Raider mentor.

Wayne Trace widened the margin on the ensuing possession after the safety.

The red, white and blue put together an 11-play, 65-yard drive that culminated on a 28-yard scoring strike from Trevor Speice to Mox Price. Trevor Speice then hooked up with Linder on the two-point conversion pass to widen the lead to 17-0.

“That was a big momentum swing,” stated Mike Speice of the safety and touchdown.

Tinora did cut the lead to 17-7 when Kyle Ordway broke free and outran the Raider defense with a 47-yard run to get the Rams on the scoreboard.

However, Wayne Trace took the momentum back just before the half with another score.

Trevor Speice found a hole in the Ram defense and sprinted to the end zone from 15-yards out with 1:51 left in the half to put the Raiders on top 23-7 at the break.

Tinora would make things a little more interesting early in the third quarter.

The Rams took the second half kickoff and proceeded to march 60 yards in eight plays, finishing the drive with a three-yard plunge by Andrew Imthurn to close within 23-14 at the 7:56 mark.

Tinora would get the ball back with the same score, thanks to a Mark Bobb interception of a Trevor Speice pass.

However, the Raider defense would rise to the challenge, forcing a three-and-out and Wayne Trace’s offense then took control.

Taking over at its own 46, Korbin Slade hauled in receptions of 15 yards and 11 yards to move the Raiders to the Tinora 26.

Following a one-yard run by the Raider signal-caller, it was Trevor Speice who found Price on a 25-yard scoring strike that pushed the Raider lead to 31-14 with 2:14 left in the third quarter.

“That was a big defensive stand for us there in the third quarter,” noted Mike Speice. “They had taken some of the momentum, and our guys stepped up and made some plays. Then we were able to go down and score on top of it.”

Wayne Trace picked up its final touchdown early in the fourth quarter.

The Raiders got a 12-yard touchdown pass from Trevor Speice to Nathan Gerber that, combined with a two-point conversion pass from Speice to Slade, concluded the game’s scoring to seal the 39-14 win.